Vatadage (The Stupa House) - Polonnaruwa
Image 14 of 149
The Vatadage or the Circular relic house was probably built in the 7th century and later renovated and reconstructed by King Nissanka Malla (1187-1196). In the center is a small Stupa and on the four sides, there are beautifully carved Buddha statues. These statues are different to what is normally found. The robe is flat, which is unusual and there are no curly locks of hair on the head. The roof had been supported by two rows of stone pillars around the Stupa. None of the pillars are visible today. But the pillars outside the walls are still intact.
More info :